High-Availability

DanG dgenn-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 18 21:09:58 UTC 2003

Yes that is true. OpenMosix was designed as an SSI ("Single system image")
cluster primarily as a load balancer. However there is a perl module
developed at CPAN OpenMosix::HA adding a single inittab structure and HA
capabilities for OpenMosix clusters with heartbeat capability. See below

NAME
    OpenMosix::HA -- High Availability (HA) layer for an openMosix cluster

SYNOPSIS
      use OpenMosix::HA;

      my $ha = new OpenMosix::HA;

      # spawn all apps for resource group "foo", runlevel "run"
      $ha->tell("foo","run");

      # spawn all apps for resource group "foo", runlevel "runmore"
      # (this stops everything started by runlevel "run")
      $ha->tell("foo","runmore");

      # get status of all resource groups
      $ha->status();

DESCRIPTION
    This module provides basic "init" functionality, giving you a single
    inittab-like file to manage daemon startup and restart across a cluster
    of openMosix machines.

    This gives you a high-availability cluster with low hardware overhead.
    In contrast to traditional HA clusters, we use the openMosix cluster
    membership facility to provide heartbeat and to detect network
    partitions.

    All you need to do is build a relatively conventional openMosix cluster,
    install this module, and configure it to start and manage your HA
    processes. There is no need to use the heartbeat serial cables, spare
    ethernet cards, or high-end server machines which traditional HA
    requires. There is no need for chained SCSI buses -- you can share disks
    among many nodes via any number of other current technologies, including
    SAN, NAS, GFS, or Firewire (IEEE-1394).