[sumthin]

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 14 11:45:37 UTC 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 06:15:04 -0500
GDHough <mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> So what harm can there be in setting an index.html inside /sumthin/? ;-)
>
> I get far fewer requests for /sumthin/ than anything else I currently play
> with. I would like to explore the ramifications of utilizing this
> particularly regular request. I just wanted to see if there was sumthin to it
> before I create the index and special links.

Well, since they're lookin' for nothin', and, quelle surprise, gettin' sumthin',
why not make it fun (for you)?

I know there's a rewrite rule out there somewhere for Code Red that crashes the
offending host. I'm not suggesting you violate the *law* or anything, but if
you were to put an index.php that contained code which, say, displayed their
IP, the name of their ISP, what OS they were running, etc. and a quick little
missive about the possible time they might be spending in jail with Bruno the
assmaster, it might put the fear o' $DEITY into some little 15 year old punk.

You would want to make sure the PHP code is safe, of course, since it's running
on *your server*, and if you are going to do some experimentation with this
stuff, make damned sure Apache is running inside a nice safe jail, so you don't
end up with egg on your face. I believe what you want to look at there is called
"chroot".

I'm sure there are many on this list who can provide more specific stuff, I'm
just throwing out ideas ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046