OT: keyboard layouts

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 13 08:30:07 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:03:05AM -0500, Henry Spencer wrote:
> Similar tests, on a smaller scale, have been done by modern ergonomics
> researchers.  Same uninspiring results -- at most, a small advantage.

But if it's a distinct, statistically valid advantage, is there any good
reason to avoid learning, using, and/or promoting the use of a marginally
superior layout?

what does a Maltron layout look like?  Is it even physically similar to
the keyboards we use today?  Perhaps Dvorak is a step in the right direction,
if only as a stepping stone, showing peole that There Is More Than One
Way To Do It.

Don't forget that there are also left- and right-handed Dvorak layouts
which I think would be unarguably superior for one-handed typists.  They
use four levels of letters, with the numbers all off to one side.

--
taa
/*eof*/