OT: keyboard layouts

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 15:57:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:31:55AM -0500, Jing Su wrote:
> The fancier kinesis (the one I have) supports two layouts.  The keys are
> labelled with both.  You can, on the fly, switch layouts without having to
> modify your locale settings.  The Kinesis also supports keyboard macros
> and button remapping.

Yeah, the hardware remapping is nice, because you can use your preferred
layout during OS installation, recovery, and BIOS duties (who types text
into the bios?  Not me!  But maybe if you plug it into a Mac and need
to mess around in OpenFirmware..).

> My only gripe with Dvorak (and why it has been hard for me to switch) is
> that most programs have hotkeys that assume you're using Qwerty.  This
> goes for OpenOffice and Emacs.  The old combinations that were reasonable
> on qwerty are uncomfortable in Dvorak.

Any program worth its salt should allow you to remap the control keys
anyway.  :)

--
taa
/*eof*/