OT: keyboard layouts

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 15:39:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:29:51AM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:21:11 -0500 Taavi Burns <taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I can type about 10WPM on a Dvorak layout (vs >70 on a qwerty), so I
> > haven't exactly switched over myself.  The Dvorak layout "feels" better to
> > me, though, even while being thoroughly frustrating because it's so slow.
> > ;)
>
> Isn't Dvorak supposed to speed up typing? I mean as opposed to qwerty, which
> was originally intended to make typing slower, preventing fast typists from
> outpacing the old typewriters.

Yes, it is supposed to be faster...once you're up to speed on it.  :)
I haven't spent the time to increase my speed yet.  I suppose I should
have made that more explicit.

IIRC the statistic for fully switching from qwerty to Dvorak is a
50% increase in WPM and a doubling of accuracy.  No, I'm not sure
where those numbers came from.  www.discover.com has an article in
their archives "The Curse of Qwerty" which is where I probably got
it from.

--
taa
/*eof*/