OT: keyboard layouts

Oliver Meyn lists-tZhE6lH4Esk+k03BA+Hq9g at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 15:31:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 10:06, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get myself a new keyboard for Christmas.  I'm considering the
> split keyboard (Microsoft Natural IIRC) or a dvorak layout.
>
> I find that if I type a lot (programming session of any significant length)
> then the top of my hands start to really ache.  Anyone have
> experience/recommendations on the effectiveness of different keyboards in
> reducing typing fatigue?

I'm a recent convert to the split keyboard and now a strong proponent.
It does take some getting used (and next time you go to a server console
you'll feel really cramped :) but I've found that instead of my wrists
looking sort of like
 | |
/   \
which caused wrist and thumb pain after more than 4 hrs of typing, they
now look more like
 /  \
/    \
which I gather is more natural, and sure feels a lot better.

Trying not to support M$ whenever possible I bought the logitech version
and have been quite happy with it (rh9, 10 & mandrake 9.1 through kvm).
It's wireless (mine came with mouse) and hasn't been too bad on
batteries.

Cheers,
Oliver