OT: keyboard layouts

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 15:27:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:06:40 -0500
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I find that if I type a lot (programming session of any significant length)
> then the top of my hands start to really ache.  Anyone have
> experience/recommendations on the effectiveness of different keyboards in
> reducing typing fatigue?

That ache is probably from the tension of holding your fingers above the
keyboard at the wrong height/angle.

What this usually means is that the keyboard is not set at the proper height/
slant for your hands and forearms to be parallel with the desk. Your elbow
should be as close to a 90 degree angle as possible to avoid that strain you are
experiencing.

I would really recommend, beyond just the keyboard, an adjustable keyboard tray
with a built-in wrist support. I picked one up at Ikea for about 40 bucks, IIRC,
and it is a wonder. It bolts to the underside of your desk, and is fully
adjustable in terms of height, slant, and distance from the desk, and the
keyboard sits in a tray with a nice soft wrist support in front of it.

I used to work at Bell, so I know all the ergonomics guidelines ;-) I just wish
I had a *chair* like I had there, they go for about 800 bucks.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046