A Free Architecture, Maybe?

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 03:57:40 UTC 2003

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:52:01PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > http://freedomtechnologycenter.org/events/
> >
> > OpenRISC demo: Monday, December 15, 2003, 7pm
> >
> > On Monday, December 15, at 7pm, OpenCores developer Damjan Lampret
> > will give the first public demonstration of an all-Open Source
> > System-On-Chip (SoC) right here at the Freedom Technology Center.
>
> <snip>
>
> It's in California... damn!

> > This certainly isn't a "barn-burner" as far as performance goes; it's
> > no 3GHz Itanic, but then I wouldn't much want the latter, either.
> >
> > If a system was available at a reasonable price, I'd buy one for sure,
> > even though it be somewhat wimpy.
>
> Me too.  In fact, 99% of people woudn't notice if their computer was
> swapped with regular 386DX running 1GHz.

Drew Sullivan keeps telling tales about "upgrading" by putting in
systems with the slowest CPUs he can find, but with reasonably snappy
disk drives, which leaves everyone happy.

Doubtless anyone that looks at specs would be _appalled_ if they
discovered that someone was installing servers with any less than the
highest number of GHz, but realistically, though, they probably wouldn't
know how many instructions a second those CPUs _truly_ execute.  (After
all, it's not 1 cycle per instruction...)
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html