GTK 1.2 and GTK 2 Fonts

Glen Strom gstrom-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 00:43:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:53:01 -0500
JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Only problem is, although all GTK2 apps use the AA Verdana, all GTK
> 1.2 apps(well, all 2 of them: GCombust and J-Pilot) still use ol'
> Helvetica.
>
> Is there any way anyone's aware of to make them all consistent, or are
> GTK 1.2 apps simply not able to use AA fonts?
>
> I am running XFCE4 with Pekwm as my WM, and XFCE4 allows me to set the
> application fonts. I have tried editing my .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 config
> file thusly:
>
> style "user-font"
> {
>   font="Verdana 10"
> }
>
> but to no avail.

Anti-aliasing doesn't work on gtk 1.x apps. There's a workaround that is
supposed to create AA but I can't remember what it's called.

I'm using Slackware 9.0. It has a file called .gtkrc which controls the
fonts in gtk 1.x apps. Here's what mine looks like:

(note that although it says "do not edit," I had to edit the font info
by hand to get it to work.

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/Sunshine-mine/gtk/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
  font="-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

include "/home/glens/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT