Exim problem

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 11 05:06:14 UTC 2003

I just went through a few weeks of security and server hell.
I would save you some pain.

A.
Get a seperate firewall box if you do not currently have one.
I would recommend running your servers behind the firewall with a NAT
address. (ie. no bastion servers) (opinions will vary here)
I chose the SmoothWall 2.0. I one happy admin now with my network, server
setup. (ask me how happy :)

B.
use tcpdump or lsof -i other other network tools to see what remote
connections are there during these spammings.

C.
blocking out just that one spammer network block or IP is useless. since it
doesnt fix the systemic problem with security.

D.
Review your system top down for security and reset all passwords in the
system. You can maybe skip this step, but thats your call.

E.
Others in this list more qualified than I may save you (and I) some future
steps or caveats.