In the Beginning was the Command Line

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 10 22:44:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 17:21, JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:03:25 -0500
> Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > The same could be said of every major system.  Communism would work
> > beautifully...if only everyone participated.  The reality is that any
> > successful system of capital must be able to handle non-participants.
> > In a sense, thats the beauty of capitalism, there is no way to not
> > participate short of not having capital.
>
> Well, this is the problem. As soon as one criticises Capitalism, the immediate
> response is: "Well Communism sucks even more!" I nowhere advocated, communism,
> of course.

I wasn't saying you advocated communism, nor that communism sucked.
Communism is beautiful in theory.  I was just pointing out that most
every imaginable system of capital would work perfectly if only everyone
participated and that capitalism has the advantage that non-participants
(non-capital holders in this case) don't cause the system to fail for
participants.  This is not to say that one is better than the other.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>