central mail

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 10 14:45:28 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 09:18, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Chris Aitken wrote:
> >OK - thanks. That's the explanation I was hoping for. For me this will be
> >a huge task. Downloading rpm's, installing software, configuring MUA,
> >MTA, and now, if I understand correctly, MDA.
>
> I think that MDA is an other name for MTA.

Acutally I believe MDA is "Mail Delivery Agent".  It's typically used to refer
to the process that takes care of writing your email to your mailbox (i.e.
/var/spool/mail/$user or $HOME/Maildir/).  Often the MDA is procmail but many
MTAs have built in MDAs so the use of procmail isn't essential (though it is
still useful).  maildrop is another popular MDA.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                       Debian GNU/Linux