central mail

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 10 10:33:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:12:55 -0500
Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> OK - thanks. That's the explanation I was hoping for. For me this will be a
>
> huge task. Downloading rpm's, installing software, configuring MUA, MTA,
> and now, if I understand correctly, MDA. And I'm sure I will face many
> questions
> to which I will not know the answer. So, this explanation will be my
> guiding light.

RPM's? If you are running Mandrake, it's as easy as falling off a chair! It must
be, because I did it in about 5 minutes.

On the mail server:

urpmi imap (*not* "courier imap")

if Fetchmail is not installed:

urpmi fetchmail-daemon (so it'll run at boot)

then just configure your /etc/fetchmailrc with the info on your ISP's POP server
like so:

# Configuration created Fri Feb 14 02:07:47 2003 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "xxxxxxx"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 300 #number of seconds between "polls"

poll pop2.sympatico.ca with proto POP3
       user 'xxxxx' there with password 'xxxxx' is 'xxxxx' here options nokeep

and then continue for each account, one "poll" per account.

Then on the mailserver, just create user accounts for each person (that's where
you put the username "is 'xxxxx' here"), eh voila! Each machine/user on your
LAN, they just point their mail client at the address of the server, with their
user and pass, and yer done. Personally I never used the IMAP functionality, I
just used my mailserver as a regular old POP server (the IMAP package comes
with both), but the mail client, if it has built-in IMAP functionality, should
know what to do.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046