Kiting: ( was *Really* bad week for SCO)

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 10 05:09:04 UTC 2003

The United States banking system doesn't work that way, and frankly neither
does the Canadian.  Remember, this is the late 1960's to early 1970's, and
modern sophisticated machines like the TRS-80 hadn't been invented yet.

In Canada, all cheques go through central clearing facilities (they're
regionalized for greater speed) and get forwarded to the bank according to
the MICR encoding on the bottom of the cheque.

In the States, which is about 10 times the size of Canada, the cheques
follow the same distribution pattern... within each Federal Reserve
district.  New York is in one, California is in another.  Our hero's cheques
would enter New York's Federal Reserve Bank (Each Federal Reserve District
goes by numbers, I forget which is which but it doesn't matter right now),
get fed into the machines and get sorted and sent to the district Reserve
Bank that California is in.  When they arrived in sunny California, they
were then further sorted into bank branches - once again using the MICR code
and monster sorting machines.  No human intervention just yet.  For those of
you counting, that's Day Two of the process.

Then when the bank gets their stack of cheques, they feed them into THEIR
sorting machines so they can record the amount and the payer's account...
except there isn't one, so the machine barfs it out.  Now, we finally get
the human being involved, who looks at the cheque, sees it's actually drawn
on a New York bank (because he's looking at the logo, not the MICR code),
shoves it into a special envelope with one transparent side, and sends it
back through the Federal Reserve in California (day 3), who send it to the
Federal Reserve in New York (day 4), where it resumes its merry way back to
California (day 5), which sends it to the branch encoded on the bottom of
the cheque (day 6) (insert Mobius loop here)...

And the payment keeps flipping back and forth between the California bank
and the two Reserve Banks, until even the glassine envelope is looking
mighty tattered.  Then somebody looks at logo/bank name and the MICR
encoding, and realizes HEY, WE WUZ TOOK!

Kiting depends on having cheques deposited simultaneously in two different
accounts in (preferably) two separate Reserve Districts.  One bank Hutton
tried to use was located in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere (in
Colorado IIRC), over a day's travel from the Federal Reserve Bank whose
district it was in.

His Lordship Mayhem