quiet PC

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 9 16:50:50 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Ilya Palagin wrote:
> I've seen computers (can't remember the brand, either IBM or Compaq),
> which had just one fan - in the power supply...

You can go one step farther.  There are fanless computers.  Mind you,
you will *not* find them with the latest 2GHz Turbo-Roomheater CPU chip
that can run the latest Windows at a bearable speed. :-)  But as we all
know, if you use Linux, lower CPU speeds still work just fine...

<http://www.caseoutlet.com/NWPc/2677/itx2677.html> is one example.  (Note
that you can get it with two or three CPU choices, and the top-end one
does require a fan, so there is one in the case... but if you back off on
the CPU choice, and are careful about what else you put in the case, you
can disconnect the fan.)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org