*Really* bad week for SCO

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 9 04:52:49 UTC 2003

I think I can google something up, but for now:
 - kiting is illegal.  The scheme depends on how long it takes cheques to
clear the central clearing facility that all banks share.  Imagine you have
two bank accounts with, say, $50 in each.  You cut a cheque from your
account in Bank 1 for, say, $5 million, and deposit it into the account you
have in Bank 2.  At the same time you also cut a cheque from the Bank 2
account and deposit it into the account in Bank 1.  When the cheques clear,
you have enough money to cover them.  You get the interest on the $10
million dollars you had for two-three days in the two accounts.
 - Margin is perfectly legal.  "On margin" means that you borrowed money
from your broker to buy shares.  Typically the broker lends you up to about
75% of the value of the shares.  If the value of the shares drops 25% you
get a "margin call" and they can sell the shares.  You're leveraging your
potential capital gains by borrowing the money, but it's quite dangerous.

His Lordship Mayhem