quiet PC

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 9 03:22:19 UTC 2003

Hi,

   May I make a few suggestions?

   I build (and have been building) systems for some time now and to be
honest the current crazy to stick a fan on everything (which I admit to
being swpet up in a few years ago) is a waste for almost all
applications. The hard drive cooling fan can almost certainly go. Even
the Seagates, which I love and get notoriously hot, are fine without
auxiliary cooling.

   Now I assume by chassis you mean the fan built into the power supply.
Am I right or is there a seperate auxiliary case fan? At any rate, Antec
Inc. makes an 80mm cooling fan with a hub-mounted thermistor that only
raises the speed of the blades (and thereby the sound levels) when a
certain thresh hold temperature is exceeded (lowest thresh hold is 20oC
where it start to climb from 1630rpm @ 21dBA pushing 28CFM and climb up
through to 50oC where it hits 2900rpm @ 34.5dba pushing 45CFM).
Replacing the PSU fan with this one would require a little monkey work
and would have to be comfortable working IN a power supply but if you
know how to be safe around capacitors then it is a relatively easy hack.

   On the more expensive but easier front I would recommend the Antec
VAR series SX1000 II mid tower chassis with an Antec TruePower 330 power
supply. I build alot of boxes around that chassis and power supply and
it is about as quiet as they get. In fact, if  Micheal Galea here on the
list is willing, he has one of my boxes with that chassis and PSU. It
has two auxiliary 80mm fans that are powered by a variable speed circuit
built into the PSU. It also has two more 80mm variable speed fans built
into the PSU exhausting the chassis air in series. All this translaets
to a chassis that exhausts plenty of air without producing virtually any
noise. In fact, the CD-ROM spinning up usually doubles the audio
pressure leaving the chassis :D.

Madison