M$ to license FAT

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 8 19:10:15 UTC 2003

Robert Brockway <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, John Macdonald wrote:
>
> > That's fine for a dual boot Linux getting access to
> > the licensed MS file system, but if another poster
> > was right about USD memory disks and such devices
> > using FAT, the "damage" is that you used a Linux
> > instead of buying Windows to read the USB device.
>
> Maybe the manufacturers of these devices will change to another filesytem
> (they can take their pick from many choices available in Linux & BSD) in
> order to avoid paying the licencing fees.  I was initially thinking about
> Linux's implementation of the Minix1 FS because it is lite but it is
> limited to 64MB iirc, which is already too small for these device.

Keep in mind that Linux is rapidly becoming the embedded platform of choice.
How many manufacturers of consumer electronics products are already using
Linux in their devices?  How many will be making the transition soon?

And Linux already offers file systems that are more appropriate for this type
of use. JFFS2, for example, includes wear leveling to minimize wear which can
cause certain types of flash devices to fail much earlier than expected.
IIRC, FAT stores critical information (the file allocation table and a single
backup) in a fixed area of the file system.  When it fails due to wear,
you're toast, even if the majority of the device is in good shape.

> All the manufacturers need to do is supply the filesystem driver when they
> install the s/w on the MS-Windows.  Adding drivers all over the place is
> part of the MS-Windows culture.

In fact, many (most?) such products already come with software from the
manufacturer, even if it's not stricly necessary.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada