M$ to license FAT

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 8 16:45:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:37:42PM -0500, John Macdonald wrote:
> # U.S. Obvious #5,579,517
> Long Common name space for and shorts filenames
> # U.S. Obvious #5,745,902
> Method and system for accessing has file using file names having different file name formats
> # U.S. Obvious #5,758,352
> Long Common name space for and shorts filenames
> # U.S. Obvious #6,286,013
> Method and system for providing has common name space for long and shorts spins names in year operating system

Okay, as someone else said, these all seem to relate to long filenames
on FAT (i.e. VFAT).  What about people who don't use those extensions?
My digital camera sticks very strictly to the old 8.3 filenames.  And
hey, if a Linux person needs to use a FAT drive for file exchange, but
usually use Linux, there may be a revisiting of UMSDOS.  ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/