Hard drive recovery

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 8 03:30:22 UTC 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Henry Spencer wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > - A backup that isn't off site isn't a backup at all.
>
> No, both on-site and off-site backups are useful, as hedges against
> different classes of problems.

Ok, my statement was probably an over simplification but it was aimed at
driving home the point that a company (or even a home user) needs to have
backups that will protect them from site destruction before they can
consider their data even slightly safe.  Too many companies religiously
take backups and leave them lying on top of the server, or worse, still in
the drive.

As it happens I do advocate on site backups.  I've certainly used them
many times to effect fast recoveries when obtaining an off site backup
would have slowed the recovery process considerably.

When building a backup solution, resources allowing, I will setup a
staging area on disk somewhere to hold backups.  From the staging area the
backups can go off site by the chosen means.

This is a big area so I won't go on, but issues like security of the
staging area (or even staging/backup server) need to be considered.
Security of the data off site as well.

I've been thinking about a talk on backup best practice for TLUG.  I went
in to this a little at the end of my optimization[1] talk but have we had
anything else like this recently?

[1] Spelling corrected for a North American audience.  No one tried to
correct my Anglo-Australian spelling during the talk but I did receive an
email afterwards :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net