SOT: shitfs in spam trends and topics

Terrence Enger tenger-ew0EfhANLmVEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 7 13:57:12 UTC 2003

At 00:58 2003-12-02 -0500, Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Is there anyone out there that has paid attention to the trends in spam,
> in particular topics?

Uh-oh.  In the continuing battle against spam, I just lost a
point by actually opening one.  Here is how I go sucked in:
the spam arrived on a mailing list for an open-source
software project, and the subject carried the word
"bug-automake".  Did the spammer just figure that a lot of
people on the internet are programmers?  Or, did a program
pick this term out of previous messages on the list?  If the
latter technique becomes widespread, it could almost destroy
the value of unmoderated lists.  Horrible thought!

Terry.