SOT: shitfs in spam trends and topics

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 16:30:24 UTC 2003

In article <lvekvjbapf.fsf-ESSLbfkwD4uye9+Y+OZS3dBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org>,
Matthew Rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org (Mel Wilson) writes:
>> Two possibilities I can imagine.
>>
>> 2. Steganography.
>
>Are you suggesting that we are receiving unintelligible e-mail because some
>group [terrorists, fbi, cia, csis] are trying to send messages to each
>other.  Do you supposed that they are sending a lot of them and getting the
>e-mail addresses wrong or that they are sending a lot of them to confuse the
>trail to the intended recipient?

   "Confuse the trail", yes.  Suppose you have a heavy
security job and you suspect that there's a criminal plan
hidden in some inane message about shoes.  You find that it
was sent by a naive high-speed user's compromised wintel
box.  You find that it was sent to 200,000 different people.
What do you check next?

>If you were to ask me, I'd say that this is similar to the book _Snow Crash_.

   People mention that one a lot.  Gonna have to read it.
(_Cryptonomicon was good, but that has nothing to do with
Neil Gaiman.)

        Regards.        Mel.