Multiple USB keyboards ?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 4 10:08:40 UTC 2003

William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have multiple video cards (agp, pci) and multiple mouses (serial,
> ps/2, usb) working independently.  That is, I can choose which should be
> selected when bringing up X.
>
> But, multiple keyboards are all shared; so, you can press keys from any
> keyboard.  How do you get them working independently?

By having a separate XF86Config for each keyboard, mouse, and video card
combination.  Each XF86Config would have its own InputDevice sections for its
respective keyboard and mouse.  The trick is to know which device (in /dev)
represents which keyboard or mouse.  This is obviouse if you have say one
PS/2 keyboard, one USB keyboard, one PS/2 mouse, and one USB mouse.  But it's
tricky if you have multiple USB keyboards and mice since they will be
assigned entries in /dev/input dynamically.  As long as you keep them
permanently plugged in, you should be able to figure out what's what by trial
and error.

Note, while I have used USB keyboards and mice, I haven't tried this type of
setup so YMMV.

Good luck,

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada