Smoothwall and running a server via a IPMASQ address

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 3 20:54:34 UTC 2003

Im going to try using a Smoothwall lbox as my firewall.
Well I figure this is a more proper way of doing things, since
iptables/firewall should be on a seperate box.

My only thoughs are before I begin are:

I only have 1 STATIC IP. Therefore the SmoothWall will use the Static IP.

The server and its 1000 and 1 settings currently set for the STATIC
interface,  and all server services will have to be set to
 work through eth1 192.168.1.2 on my server. So all services will have to be
forward and work through that 192.168.1.2 address.
Most services 8,22,25,53,80,110,113,143 work through eth1 currently.

Running a server via a IPMASQ address, Im sure is done all the time, but its
giving me second thoughs on the SmoothWall install.

This could get ugly.
I could paint myself into a corner far worse just having iptables not
working.

teddy mills
http://www.vger.ca
VGER directives...To collect...all that is collectable. To sell...all that
is saleable.To merchandise...all that is merchandisable.

Family Guys, Quagmire
"allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll right"