Linux a multiarchitecture system

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 2 21:47:00 UTC 2003

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:31:59PM -0500, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Hmm?
> >
> > % ls /usr/src/linux/arch
> > alpha  cris  ia64  mips    parisc  ppc64  s390x  sparc    x86_64
> > arm    i386  m68k  mips64  ppc     s390   sh     sparc64
> >
> > Linux runs on at least 15 architectures NOT produced by Intel.
>
> Well technically intel does produce alpha and arm, i386 and ia64. :)

They _manufacture_ Alpha and StrongARM, after having purchased rights
from Digital.

> I will give you the other 13.  intel only invented 2 of them, but make 4
> of them.

Whether or not we quibble over 2 of the architectures, there are still a
LOT more non-Intel architectures than there are Intel architectures.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html