Question about VNC

Thomas Gibson a67582000-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 2 14:27:43 UTC 2003

Sidney,

Windows vncserver's behaviour is slightly different
from Linux/Unix.  In Windows(workstation), there is
only one desktop/session so this is the one that is
shared.  In Linux, each vncserver sponses its own
desktop/session which lasts for the lifetime of the
server process.

Vncserver runs its own pseudo-X-server, Xvnc which is
conflicting with the xserver sponsed by start.  Have a
read of the Xvnc man page.  It sounds like you are
running init level 3(non-X11).  In which cases
desktops are unmanaged.  If you change the init level
to 5, Xdm will be running and display numbers will be
managed for you automagically.  This will get around
the display number problem if your happy with the fact
that your local desktop will be seperate from your VNC
desktop.

But..

I think you are looking for something more along the
lines of KDE Desktop Sharing.  Haven't used it but
have a look at: http://www.tjansen.de/krfb/

Hope this helps.

http://tlug.ss.org/subscribe.shtml