Backup suggestion

Jason Shein jason-gaRZxGPHtpBxZtjKW1aY+1aTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 2 11:09:00 UTC 2003

I have an idea that I would like to put out and get some input on.

I am currently converting over numerous windows home users to linux. I
want to implement a backup & restore scenario that is idiot proof, and
that the individual users can recover from at their leisure. ( without
tech support from me )

My idea is as follows.

1: Using cron to archive the users /home directory at regular intervals
- time of day would be set by a config file set by root. Use of
mondoarchive I feel would be of great benefit. There would have to be
settings and checks based on disk space allocations and availability. I
would prefer both a differential backup system as well as having a known
good configuration as a last resort.

2: When a user goes to logon, at the bottom of the window manager
selection list, there would be a "Restore from backup" option ( linking
to a script that would initiate the recovery process ). this would
prompt the user, indicating the possibility for loss of data created
since last backup ( an indication of last backup by a timestamp would be
good ) before finally recovering from the backup.

Would this be possible? feasable? Is there already a tool out there to
accomplish this? Any input would be appreciated.

--
" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
        And decide to replace them with something stronger"