Selling Linux ??

bob findlay fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 1 13:10:07 UTC 2003

On November 30, 2003 07:24 pm, you wrote:
> 1.  Does anyone know who is currently selling (Linux based) X-terminals?
>
>     X-terminal is the "canonical" solution for many situations.  And,
> recent development in PXE network booting makes
> 	Etherboot, Netboot, Rom-a-matic, LTSP (Linux Terminal Server
> 	Project), Mknbi-linux, Imggen, ...
>     all obsolete.  If you have 3c905 (what I have), then you can boot
>     over network without above packages.  I'm told you can also do that
>     with Intel's ethernet card, as expected since PXE is Intel spec.
>
> 2.  Do you think there is much demand for 2, 3, or 4 users logging onto
>     single computer?  ie. "Linux mainframe".
>
>     That is, multiple sets of monitors, keyboards, and mouses hooked up
>     to single computer; much like serial terminals, but with XDM.  This
>     would be primarily aimed at home market, where you want to have one
>     computer serving 2, 3, or 4 users, but don't want to buy 2, 3, or 4
>     separate computers.
>
> Any comments or insights would be appreciated.

Don't forget the VNC solution.    I've used it with great success on one of
my contracts.

One of its principle advantages over the X solutions is that the X client
runs on the server and therefore continues to run even if the VNC viewer
isn't currently on.     This is a very slick way to maintain the state for a
mobile worker for example.