SCO has valid case

Dave Stubbs dstubbs-ZsETY1VsSgK5ibTBNBZY+dUNXN58jlyp at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 20:33:22 UTC 2003

> BTW... and this is entirely speculation... what happens to software if
> the
> copyright owner is defunct? It's not like SCO is going to leave a will or
> an estate. Is it at this point that M$ buys the ...what? ...copyrights?
> ...SCO? outright for nothing in a short stock trade? Remember this?

NOW it's getting interesting!

This might be very very important.  SCO is pretty much a starving,
almost-dead, shrivelled, emaciated near-corpse and for all that, is
making quite a racket.  They haven't been able to ship a compelling
product in years.  Any time I've ever had to support SCO Unix I've hated
it.  ALL of the other UNIXes are much more amenable to easy
administration, and a lot more of the usual tools you'd expect are there.

Anyway, what happens if SCO folds up and goes out of business?  How bad
would it be if Microsoft bought the leftovers of SCO and decided to
continue the fight, just for fun?  Could Microsoft afford to litigate
Linux into oblivion?  At least in the US anyway?

Finally, would it be possible to get concerned Linux users together to
buy SCO?  Or at least to buy the scraps if they folded up?  Maybe then
we could officially bequeath UNIX to the public domain...

If each angry concerned Linux user out there put $100 into this cause,
could we do it?

Dave...