Help! Disk space error

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 15:10:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:04:57 -0400 (EDT), "Keith Mastin"
<kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> said:

> > On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:42:38PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> >> Shoot... I was hoping to use that to squeeze the XP partition on my
> >> laptop to fit in Gentoo.  Any ideas as to what I can use instead?  I
> >> really don't want to have to go through re-installing XP, not to
> >> mention everything else I have.
> >
> > Unfortunately the best I have used is partitoin magic, which well is
> > commercial, costs some $60 or 70, but really does work well and is worth
> > having around for just such stupid emergencies (or bad planning on the
> > part of the original installer).  I don't think anything else will
> > resize NTFS at this time.
>
> Yup.. its called BootitNG, and you can get it here
> http://www.bootitng.com
>
> It does a lot of things, but one of them is resize NTFS (and other)
> partitions.

Yeah, try out this BootitNG, which looks pretty good, or burn a copy of
Knoppix and you'll have disk related utilities such as:
ntfsresize (as already mentioned - I think the fact that it's on Knoppix
is a vote of confidence for this program)
qtparted (graphical parted - no console version for some reason)
partimage and partimaged - partition imaging client and server
install-mbr
sfdisk
cfdisk
Logical Volume Manager tools
etc.
etc.

I own Partition Magic 7 but hardly use it anymore.  Only supports ext2
and I'm not spending $50 US to ugrade to PQM 8 to get ext3 but not
ReiserFS support.  Also, some people report problems with Linux
partitions made by PQM.