Help! Disk space error

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 15:18:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Sidney Shapiro wrote:

> Help! My system seems to have run out of space on /dev/hda6 and it
> causing lots and lots of problems. Everything on the server is set up as
> RAID5 (Values shown below are 1/3 of system space). How can I shrink
> /dev/md0 and increase the size of hda6, or some other suggestions to get

That will depend on the type of filesystem you are using.  Don't consider
growing/shrinking filesystems on production boxes unless you are sure you
have your data safely backed up (which should be the case anyway).

> this working? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I am running
> RH7.3

Do this:

cd /
du -sh *

See where the data is being taken up.

I see you do not have /tmp seperate.  You might like to consider this.
At a pinch you could symlink /tmp to /var/tmp although I don't recommend
it as a long term solution.  If you do this, take the box to single user
first.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net