debian/woody powrpc + /dev/lp* + serial port: /dev/ttyS1 + powrup self-test ?

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 24 14:52:22 UTC 2003

I now have the modem working fine on my lnux powrmac.  The next problem is
the printer port. Mac doesn't have a parallel prt, apparently; they use
the serial port instead. I have identified it as /dev/ttyS1, courtesy of
"dmesg | grep tty", and "setserial /dev/ttyS1", which match irq and hex
address.

I have an ostensibly working Imagewriter II.  (It goes through the powrup
tests and behaves as expected.)

Yet when I do
# cat > /dev/ttyS1
The quick brown fox.
<ctrl-d>

nothing comes out the printhead.  Yes, I do have it "online".  No, I
haven't ever had it work with the macos: I am unable (terminally) to work
with iconic macos.

Any suggestions?

Does Imagewriter II have a powerup self-test in eeprom (like various HP
devices I've known?)  If so, how do I gain access?

PS If anyone has a working /etc/printcap for a serial port mac printer,
I'd appreciate you posting it.

TIA,
max.