PROBLEM SOLVED! 8) was Re:setserial, problem connecting: debian/woody powerpc + modem

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 22 14:21:31 UTC 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Kareem Shehata wrote:

> Max Blanco said:
> > # dmesg | grep tty
> > tty00 at 0xf3013020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC; port = modem
> > tty01 at 0xf3013000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC; port = printer
> > # setserial /dev/ttyS0
> > /dev/ttyS0 UART: unknown Port: 0xf3013020 IRQ: 15
> > # setserial /dev/ttyS1
> > /dev/ttyS1 UART: unknown Port: 0xf3013000 IRQ: 16
>
> Maybe it's just me, but dmesg says "tty00" while you used "ttyS0" for
> setserial.  Have you tried "setserial /dev/tty00" ?  At the very least, do
> an "ls -l tty*" (which you may have to pipe through less) and see what you
> find.
> HPH!

No.  It's not just you.  It's an indirection used by the ppc kernel to
mislead inexperienced ppc users like yours truly.
It SAYS "tty00"; it MEANS "ttyS0".  That's problem number one.
Lennart helped me to discover that.  Thanks, Lennart!

The "setserial /dev/ttyS0" command and the "dmesg | grep tty" must match
for hex port number and irq.  (Else, setserial allows one to change
settings.  Oddly, the kernel "knew" it was misleading!  The kernel put the
right hex address and irq in /dev/ttyS0 but instead it chose to report
/dev/tty00 in the dmesg.)

My problem was at least three-fold:
1) I didn't watch the modem lights hawkishly while I cycled through the
/dev/tty*
2) I didn't know about the setserial command at first
3) my chat script was (and is) faulty

Once I had straightened out the /dev/tty00 -> /dev/ttyS0 fubar, and with
the help of Lennart's "cat > /dev/ttyS0" instruction, I knew I could talk
to the modem.  I tried the chat script and got stumped.  That's when I
searched through the debian diskset: I dug through my cdrom sets for
minicom and it was on a debian disk labelled "binary-2".

I'm writing to you now through my ppc modem...
sheesh! Two weeks of off-and-on debugging.

Thanks to all who helped.

(If anyone needs any modem help with ppc, send him my way.)

cheers,
max.