setserial, problem connecting: debian/woody powerpc + modem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 20:52:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:05:24PM -0400, Max Blanco wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > > the modem is on.
> > > the modem is plugged in to the line.
> > > the modem works well in macos.
> >
> > Perhaps using some setserial command to setup /dev/ttyS0 on the hex and
> > irq given would work.  Don't usually bother specifying the uart or
> > anything like that.
> >

> # dmesg | grep tty
> tty00 at 0xf3013020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC; port = modem
> tty01 at 0xf3013000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC; port = printer
> # setserial /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0 UART: unknown Port: 0xf3013020 IRQ: 15
> # setserial /dev/ttyS1
> /dev/ttyS1 UART: unknown Port: 0xf3013000 IRQ: 16
> # rm /dev/modem
> # ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem
> # cat chatfile
> ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK ATDT 4165551212
>
> # chat -f chatfile
>
> did not connect.  What is the problem here?

Well after asking a PPC user, he says the setserial output looks normal
(macs have no UART apparently) and the port and irq looks fine.

Perhaps the cable to the modem is the wrong kind or broken, or the modem
doesn't work.

Can you try the modem with another machine (PC perhaps) to check it?

Also make sure you are using the right port on the back, and apparently
modem and printer cables although they look similar are not
interchangable on a mac (I think the modem one is crossover and the
printer one isn't.)

Are you sure it works in MacOS as it is right now?

Which kernel version are you using?

Could you try:

cat > /dev/ttyS0
+++ATH0 ATE1V1 AT&Q