6.2 vs. 7.3

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 04:29:43 UTC 2003

On 20 Aug 2003 21:41:01 -0400
Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> writes:
> >     My first strategy for speeding things up is to run FVWM2 instead of
> >     Gnome or KDE.  There are a couple of other small window managers out
> >     there, but I have a long history with FVWM.  There are a couple of
> >     other FVWM freaks in this user group, so you can get help.
> >
> >     There was some talk about running an FVWM demo at one of the user
> >     meetings.  Is there any more interest in this?
>
> Consider xfce4 instead.  It's a lightweight, functional desktop, reminiscent
> of CDE. RAM hungry apps like OpenOffice or Mozilla will still be unwieldy
> (without a RAM upgrade) but you can run a decent desktop on this machine if
> you choose your components carefully.  Debian is arguably a better choice for
> a low power machine as you have far more ready made packages to choose from;
> thus, you can better experiment with tradoffs between footprint and
> functionality.  Be prepared, however, to spend a good bit of time customizing
> it to your liking.

Tim,

   I tried XFCE briefly a couple of years ago.  It buggered up my Gnome configuration somehow.  It wrote over Sawfish theme I had picked out.  This probably is irrelevant now, since they keep changing Gnome.  I used to use FVWM2 as my Gnome window manager, but then Gnome changed and intercepted the mouse menus, which are one of the things I like about FVWM.

   Wasn't somebody around here working on a distribution for older smaller computers?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org