6.2 vs. 7.3

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 22:59:28 UTC 2003

<snip>
> about makefile, compiling the kernel (for the first time), etc. So, my
> question is: Is Rh 6.2 going to so much faster on this machine that's
> it's going to be worth my daughter being without a computer for a month
> while I try to get it to do what 7.3 will do right out of the box?

Really, the bottleneck is probably all the X thingies she needs. These are
needs, right? 6.2 uses a bit less system resources than 7.3, but it has
it's faults too... it's no longer supported by redhat. It's also not much
of a multimedia -ready desktop compared to 7.3.

What I would suggest is that she might try knoppix for a while and see if
she (and you) can handle debian. If so, then you'll be off and running
with a good little woody install. 8,000+ programs to chose from, and
software management is a breeze with apt-get.

I was a bit intimidated myself at first moving from redhat, but once I got
the idea of apt-get it got a little easier. Most of the configs are in the
software, so they're pretty generic across the board.

Worth checking out anyways...

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.