desparate cry for help, was Re:debian/woody powerpc + modem

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 18 03:09:36 UTC 2003

Hi all,

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Max Blanco wrote:

> > Well I would imagine that Linux uses /dev/ttyS0 - ttyS3 for serial
> > ports.  What does 'dmesg |grep tty' show you?
> >

> bingo:
> tty00 at somehex1 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC; port = modem
> tty01 at somehex2 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC; port = printer
>
> the modem is on.
> the modem is plugged in to the line.
> the modem works well in macos.

I have discovered 'setserial' and z8530-utils.deb...

(kernel seems not to recognize the device tty00 which it listed in dmesg:)
# setserial /dev/tty00
Cannot get serial info: Inappropriate ioctl for device

(/dev/ttyS0 is recognized as the somehex1, irq=15 address:)
# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0 somehex1 UART unknown irq=15

I think I am close here.  I connect /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS0 and try my
chat file to no avail.  I have no response when I send "ATZ (OK) ATDT
4165551212".  I should add that the macos has no trouble with ppp dialout.

The setserial (+ manpage) does not recognize "z8530" or "8530" as valid
entries to UART.  I should add that my machine is a powermac
750/267mHz/OldWorld machine if anyone thinks it would be useful
administrivia.

TIA,
max.