debian/woody powerpc + modem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 13 21:18:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:12:47PM -0400, Max Blanco wrote:
> I have debian/woody release up and running on my powerpc.  I would like to
> get my modem working with linux;  it works with the MacOS ppp.  I have two
> problems: minicom doesn't work (lacks an include .h file - likely debian
> doesn't include this in the proper directory) and I don't know how to use
> chat.  So either way, I'm sunk.
>
> All I ask is a simple dialout chat script to check that the lights flash
> and the external modem picks up hook.  I can write the perl wrapper to
> cycle through the /dev/ttyS*... that is unless anyone knows which /dev/
> port the modem connects through on a mac.

Did you try running pppconfig?

Now it is possible that on a modern mac the modem is a software modem
(aka winmodem style), but I really have no idea.

The ibook3 apparently uses a conexant software modem chip, which works
OK with the appropriate non free drivers installed.

Perhaps output of lspci would help identify the modem.

Lennart Sorensen