Zoneedit WebForward mystery

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 12 13:41:56 UTC 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:20:41 -0400 (EDT), "Keith Mastin"
<kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> said:
> > Following instructions in the Zoneedit FAQ, I created an A record
> > ww2.malcolmson.ca pointing to the external IP address of my router.
> > Next I made a CNAME called zope.malcolmson.ca and pointed that to
> > ww2.malcolmson.ca:9673.  The problem is, while ww2.malcolmson.ca:9673
> > works, zope.malcolmson.ca returns a blank page.
> >
> > Zoneedit's DNS record for zope.malcolmson.ca is:
> >
> > Host                Type         Value
> > zope.malcolmson.ca  CNAME    wf.zoneedit.com
>                                 ^---- wf.domain.tld? I thought you
> wanted ww2.domain.tld? Could this have something to do with the problem?
>
> As Fraser mentioned, dns is not the arena to assign ports. Get the dns
> straight (check with the host command or dig), and then assign the ports
> using redirect as he mentioned.
>
> Here's your results of dig zope.malcolmson.ca right now:
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;zope.malcolmson.ca.            IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> zope.malcolmson.ca.     7200    IN      CNAME   wf.zoneedit.com.
> wf.zoneedit.com.        3600    IN      A       207.44.244.117
> wf.zoneedit.com.        3600    IN      A       69.10.136.210
>
> My guess is that both machines that wf.zoneedit.com point to are dns
> machines, and not your home EXT_IP.

Thanks very much for these responses - I've got this solved now though
the answer is kind of anticlimactic - turns out it was a bug with
Zoneedit's WebForward feature.  I only found out after emailing their
tech support; I didn't even realize they had tech support (being a mostly
free service, after all) until I'd looked through their FAQ and
documentation about 25 times for why my setup, copied exactly from their
example, wasn't working.

As for port numbers in DNS records, the WebForward feature uses HTTP
redirection.  Here's an explanation:

http://mail.gnhlug.org/pipermail/gnhlug-discuss/2002-December/001963.html

Still, I will take Fraser's suggestion and set up Apache with Virtual
Hosts 'cause it sounds neat and there are HOWTO's for using Zope behind
Apache.

BTW: my Linksys BEFSR41 port forwarding feature doesn't do proxy-like
forwarding to specific ports; it just forwards connections to any of a
range of ports to a host on the interal network.