[GTALUG-Announce] GTALUG: COVID-19 Impact

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:23:01 EDT 2020

The ongoing COVID-19 problem has made it impossible to hold
our monthly meetings at Ryerson.

Our meetings are held at Ryerson University; the University has
declared [1] that, to help diminish the spread of the virus, they are
eliminating all discretionary activities on (and off) campus until May
1, 2020.  GTALUG certainly falls in the "discretionary activity"
category, therefore we do not have availability of that space.  It is,
of course, entirely likely that the May 1 date will shift as the situation
evolves.

Further, the Ontario Government has banned getting together in
groups of 50 or more [2] (it would be no surprise for that to go down
further), and in view of the risks of the virus, it would not be at all
responsible for GTALUG to attempt to shift to other locations;
that would not fit well with the "social and physical distancing"
concept in use to try to diminish spread of the virus.

We are trying to see what we can do about alternative mechanisms, so
that discussions may take place online.  The mailing list remains
active, of course; we hope to see more ideas emerge over the next
couple of weeks.

[1]
https://www.ryerson.ca/news-events/news/2020/03/president-mohamed-lachemi-announces-universitys-plans-to-deal-with-covid-19/
[2] https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus