[GTALUG-Announce] GTALUG Meeting on 12th April at 7:30pm

Myles Braithwaite me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Thu Mar 31 09:57:10 EDT 2016

<http://gtalug.org/meeting/2016-04/>

# Open Source Graphics Suite Panel

Join Stewart, Trent, and Myles in discussing their practical
experiences using a variety of open source graphics packages and
suites.

Bring your questions for our panelists!

## Panelists

Stewart Russell is a Linux user who should probably be kept away from
admin, dev and other sharp objects. He draws mostly geometric patterns
and enjoys unusual output devices such as pen plotters. He mostly
works in Inkscape, but also finds graphical uses for Gimp, Darktable,
QCAD, OpenSCAD, Processing, Perl, PostScript, Python, netpbm and —
when all else fails — ink and gouache.

Some of his work is here:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/scruss/sets/72157666420609652/>

---

Trent Drake is a freelance artist, with two decades experience in
drawing anthropomorphic characters. A former qualitative data analyst,
he continues to branch out in game design, animation, cartooning. He
also directs and produces independent video productions for community
organizations and YouTube.

He works in Windows, using Inkscape, GIMP, and Blender.

Links to content:

* The Safety Prance: Lyricist, prop-builder, director:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dIu8gHkzEs>

* Pixel art gallery: <https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/hiker>

---

Myles Braithwaite is a web developer who sometimes has to designs user
interfaces. He accomplishes this by using Open Source design tools
like Inkscape for icons and wireframes, Dia for structure diagrams,
and GNUpaint for rough sketching. He enjoys manipulating SVG files and
manipulate them with Python and CSS (he was doing it before it was in
vogue). On the rare occasion he has to interact with dead trees he
uses Scribus to design page layouts.

## Location

George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre
245 Church Street, Room 203
Ryerson University

<http://goo.gl/maps/16oJ2>

<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23447525>

## Schedule

* 6:00 pm - Please discuss on the general mailing list (i.e.
<talk at gtalug.org>) where you want to go for dinner.
* 7:30 pm - Meeting and presentation.
* 9:00 pm - After each meeting a group of GTALUGers move to the The
Imperial Pub (54 Dundas St East) for refreshments and more
socializing.

# Code of Conduct

We want a productive happy community that can welcome new ideas,
improve every process every year, and foster collaboration between
individuals with differing needs, interests and skills.

We gain strength from diversity, and actively seek participation from
those who enhance it. This code of conduct exists to ensure that
diverse groups collaborate to mutual advantage and enjoyment. We will
challenge prejudice that could jeopardize the participation of any
person in the community.

The Code of Conduct governs how we behave in public or in private
whenever the Linux community will be judged by our actions. We expect
it to be honored by everyone who represents the community officially
or informally, claims affiliation, or participates directly. It
applies to activities online or offline.

We invite anybody to participate. Our community is open.

Please read more about the GTALUG Code of Conduct here:
<http://gtalug.org/about/code-of-conduct/>.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the GTALUG Code
of Conduct please contact the GTALUG Board @ <board at gtalug.org>.