[GTALUG] Debian Live Linux -- Change Overlay Filesystem -- From Tempfs Ramdisk To Hard Drive ?? [was] Re: Debian Live Linux -- Overlay Filesystem -- Where Allocated ??

Steve Petrie apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat Mar 23 05:50:17 EDT 2024

Thanks to Len Sorensen, Hugh Redelmeier and Ron at bclug.ca for taking
their time offering suggestions, all of which I have investigated.

* * *
* * *

Paranoia and low tolerance for anxiety have me deciding on this
strategy, to get to a Debian 12 configuration with root filesystem
persistence:

(1) Buy a second multi-TB SATA hard drive to install in my Debian linux
PC (Western Digital or Seagate).

(1) Build a bootable live Debian 12.5 linux USB memory stick.

(3) Use (2) to install Debian 12 on the new SATA drive, and use this
SATA Debian 12 for ongoing regular daily operations.

(3) Keep both the current bootable live Debian 11 USB memory stick, and
the new bootable live Debian 12 linux USB memory stick, for emergency
linux boot purposes.

* * *
* * *

This strategy offers these benefits:

(1) gets regular linux operations to most current Debian version, and
simplifies life by booting directly from hard drive,

(2) (hopefully) saves time by booting the PC from hard disk, instead of
from USB memory stick,

(3) adds a large comforting increment of hard disk capacity,
complementing the current 1.8 TB hard drive, which already is almost 50%
used,

(4) leaves me with two (2) Debian emergency boot USB memory sticks.

* * *
* * *

I will report back on results.

Steve Petrie