[GTALUG] war story: Brother printer won't turn on

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 14:09:56 EST 2024

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 11:26 AM Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> "I'd like to say that soldering is a basic life-skill, but it isn't. " I think it is.
>
> If you do any kind of electronics repair or hacking, then you must know how to solder. It isn't difficult. You just need practice. Tutorials abound on YT. Knowing how to use a multimeter is also an essential life skill. Without these fundamental skills you must trash equipment that somehow went awry and buy another one. This is similar to mending your clothing. You can just pitch the clothing and buy new, or buy better quality and learn to mend what you have. The choice is yours.
>
> With the quality of product dropping as time passes, there is more of a need to repair older but better quality products (computer tech excluded) than to simply buy new. Learn how to solder and sew yourself, find someone that knows, or pay someone to do it for you.

Hmmmmm - - - - you pretty much  put your age in neon with a comment
like that - - - lol.
Not that I disagree in fact.

The ethos has evolved to where from about 15 to 20 years ago it is now
considered
ethically imperative to discard and buy new on a very very regular basis.
Someone has to be spending money quite regularly to make all those nice salaries
that mid and upper management from most large companiesand the increase the
wealth of the financial elite. Heaven forfend if the financial elite's
net worth isn't increasing
by at least 15% per annum!

HTH
(tongue firmly in cheek)