[GTALUG] Landline and Bell revisited.

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu Sep 7 12:48:53 EDT 2023

On 2023-09-07 12:13, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> The CRTC is a cruel joke for consumers. It's far too industry-friendly
> and has allowed Robellus to get away with awful shenanigans and
> anti-competitive behavior for decades. While it offers a path to
> complain, <https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm> I would not expect
> such a complaint to be answered in a timely manner or to your
> satisfaction.
>
> I fully agree with Don that this is a human rights issue, and
> following that path will likely achieve better results than fighting
> Bell on their turf.

Again, can the CRTC force Bell to provide obsolete service?  What if
Bell has abandoned or removed the copper cable to her neighborhood? What
if they've removed the necessary equipment from their office? How are
they supposed to provide the service?

I am no fan of Bell however, expecting them to provide an analog phone
line back to their office, when everything is moving to IP over fibre
may amount to nothing more than wishful thinking.

BTW, here's something I worked on around 15 years ago.  There is a hydro
control centre, located in Mississauga at the corner of Lakeshore Rd.
and Winston Churchill Blvd.  They had a need for multiple analog phone
lines, to connect dial up modems to.  Bell could not supply those lines,
so the company I worked for provided the equipment to do it, connected
to a T1 line and I was the one who installed the equipment to provide
those analog lines.  Even then, some special equipment was needed, as
Bell's DMS 250 switch wasn't configured to provide the type of analog
lines required.