[GTALUG] journalctl / systemctl [was: Re: Debian has suddenly become unstable]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Oct 12 11:02:26 EDT 2023

| From: Bob Jonkman via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| > One thought might be to disable cups (`journalctl disable --now cups`)
|
| Did you mean 'systemctl disable --now cups'  ???

I often make that mistake.  Although the names are logical, there is
some kind of cognitive trap here.

>From a human factors standpoint, it would be better if they didn't
look alike.  Of course that is less logical and elegant.

I'd also prefer "journalctl" to be shorter to type.  Also, ctl seems
to be redundant: what other command can you give the journal?  On my
system, "jou" TAB completes to "journalctl".

The --now flag is a feature that I've wanted but never noticed.
Thanks!  I wonder if I'll remember when I need it.

The naming is not too good since the requested action was always
immediate.  --now asks for a different but related action.

I've previously daydreamed about a syntax for systemctl which would
allow a sequence of COMMANDS in a single invocation just as a list of
UNITs is allowed.

systemctl [OPTIONS...] COMMAND [UNIT...]

For example: sytemctl enable,start,status dovecot