[GTALUG] No keyboard at boot?

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 11 11:50:44 EDT 2023

Checked the logs, which wasn't helpful; there was no persistent log, and
I can only maneuver when booting from the USB stick -- which doesn't
have the problem in the first place -- so no easy way to see what is or
isn't loading when there is a problem.  Found a suggestion on Reddit
that the problem might be in changes to vconsole.conf, specifically to
use a private keymap, so I changed that file to longer use a private
keymap, but it didn't help.  I also tried changing the boot network
configuration, and the only result of that seems to be a more complete
freeze, so now the computer doesn't even boot to a login prompt.  I
think it's time for a full reset of the BIOS to the defaults, pull all
the installed hard disks, and do a complete wipe/reinstall.  There is a
reason the machine was out of service.

This, mind you, to get a replacement machine for the one with the flaky
motherboard (which runs just fine once it has booted as long as you
reset time/date and don't try to run X).