[GTALUG] (very off topic) torque spec of impact wrench

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Nov 3 08:40:10 EDT 2023

I would second Evans suggestion before running out and buying an impact
wrench.
If you can afford to give it a day or so to penetrate that would help.

A trick my father use to use was to slide a metal pipe over the breaker
bar to extend the length and hence the force.

I have a small ryobi battery powered impact tool that is useful but it
absolutely not do what your looking for but it is an amazingly handy
tool so there is value in impact tools.

On 2023-11-03 03:21, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Probably obvious question: Have you applied a good penetrating oil
> (like Liquid Wrench)?
> That has saved my behind with rusted bolts on more than one occasion.
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 3:08 AM William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi (another very off topic),
>
>     Wheel bolts on my VW are seized pretty hard.  Standing on 24in
>     breaker
>     bar doesn't help, and that's 300ft-lb torque.  So, I'm thinking about
>     getting an impact wrench.  Those with greater than 300ft-lb are very
>     expensive.  I found one with 250ft-lb spec at my price range.
>
>     Question is, is there difference between static torque vs impact
>     torque?
>       In other words, will 250ft-lb impact wrench loosen 300ft-lb bolt?
>
>     Browsing YouTube, I learned that torque specs are always
>     misleading and
>     inflated.  This means, I have to find 600ft-lb or greater, and that's
>     serious money.
>     ---
>     Post to this mailing list talk at gtalug.org
>     Unsubscribe from this mailing list
>     https://gtalug.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>

> --
> Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
> @evanleibovitch / @el56

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net               ||