[GTALUG] (very off topic) torque spec of impact wrench

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 06:53:16 EDT 2023

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 2:07 AM William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi (another very off topic),
>
> Wheel bolts on my VW are seized pretty hard.  Standing on 24in breaker
> bar doesn't help, and that's 300ft-lb torque.  So, I'm thinking about
> getting an impact wrench.  Those with greater than 300ft-lb are very
> expensive.  I found one with 250ft-lb spec at my price range.
>
> Question is, is there difference between static torque vs impact torque?
>   In other words, will 250ft-lb impact wrench loosen 300ft-lb bolt?
>
> Browsing YouTube, I learned that torque specs are always misleading and
> inflated.  This means, I have to find 600ft-lb or greater, and that's
> serious money.
> ---

An easier and far cheaper option - - - - find yourself a 2' long chunk of
pipe or tubing that fits over the breaker bar. (Need to overlap at
least a couple if
not 3 inches.) Place bar combination so it is slightly above horizontal.
STOMP on the end of the sucker (your heel is better than at the instep
especially in softer shoes - - - unless you're wearing decent 'work' boots).
Its the impact that does the trick - - - far more than the weight.
If you're thinking this might be problematic then put the combination (of
bar and pipe) so the motion is upwards and lift up - - - using your legs!!!!

(I've bent pipes and bars doing this but most definitely NOT on something
as small as a VW. If you want a word for the pipe (extender) I was taught
to call it a snipe. Have used such to exert as much as 2500 ft#s - - - that was
using some more than a short snipe though!)

HTH