[GTALUG] Chromebook death dates

Mauro Souza thoriumbr at gmail.com
Mon May 29 15:19:36 EDT 2023

I have an early Samsung from *a while* ago, it started showing "this
product won't receive more upgrades" a couple years ago but it still works
just fine. ChromeOS hasn't been updated in a while, and it's just plugged
in the TV as my Youtube app for a dumb TV. I have a Lenovo too, it's
receiving updates but I know their days are ending too. But they still work.

What I noticed: my daughter uses both (I use Family Link to control them),
and in one I can install apps for her, on the older one I cannot. Same for
extensions. Currently there's no way to access Developer tools on either
one, and I've read that on other ChromeOS versions it's possible. So maybe
that's the case for the school ones: ChromeOS won't support newer tech and
sites start demanding that tech. And if those books aren't supporting it,
they will be sold at massive discounts.

Depending on the model, you could install Linux on it - Crouton, Crostini,
Gallium, there are some alternatives. It won't be that fast, because most
Chromebooks are pretty limited, but it's useful. Sometimes it's possible to
give those books more RAM or more storage. Even if that's not possible,
they could be a cheap laptop to, say, keep in the kitchen to follow recipes
on Youtube and you won't be much distressed if it fell on the sink. Or hang
it on the wall showing a "family calendar" or something. Or a Home
Assistant dashboard.

"What is my purpose? You access Youtube..."

Mauro
https://www.maurosouza.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.