[GTALUG] Update borked my system

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Mon Mar 27 04:35:43 EDT 2023

Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote on 2023-03-27 01:20:

> Is there a command that can let me just force everything to the current
> stable release without me having to go through the whole
> install-from-usb-stick thing?

I recently did a silly thing: upgraded my system Python installation via
a PPA.

That meant that a `do-release-upgrade` took me to a version of Python
that was slightly behind the one installed via PPA.

I had all kinds of problems, sounding similar to yours.

This post put me on the right track, allowed me to fix it quite painlessly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/10b9rsr/comment/j4dqhqx

Lessons learnt:

* mess with Python in a venv
* man apt-patterns
* apt mark minimize-manual

I wonder if this will produce more legible output:

apt list ?broken

rb